• Shoutbox
    Active Users: 0

• Notice: N/A

• Active Users

• There are currently no users chatting.

Angry Just trying to upload a map.

The upload system on this site is pretty confusing. Way too much info required. The taxation office doesn't ask that many questions.
    Four times it claims the verification code to be incorrect.

Is the "Title" the name of map, my name, my title (Mr, Mrs, Ms, Sir, Dr), the game title, or what?
    If the "Title" is the map name then why is there also provisions for "Map Name"?
    If the "Title" is for my name then why is there also provisions for "Map Creator"?
    If the "Title" is for the name of the game or expansion, then why is there also provisions to select either "MOHAA", "MOHSH" or "MOHBT"?
    Why is there two sections to upload images? "Screen shots" and "Attach" which mentions resizing images and the accepted file extensions.
    Do I need to hit the "Save" button after code verification, if so will I get to upload further attachments such as screenshots?

HELP!!!

Please explain it in easy terms for dummies like myself. Thanks.

Trophies
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AccadaccA View Post
    The upload system on this site is pretty confusing. Way too much info required. The taxation office doesn't ask that many questions.
    Four times it claims the verification code to be incorrect.

Is the "Title" the name of map, my name, my title (Mr, Mrs, Ms, Sir, Dr), the game title, or what?
    If the "Title" is the map name then why is there also provisions for "Map Name"?
    If the "Title" is for my name then why is there also provisions for "Map Creator"?
    If the "Title" is for the name of the game or expansion, then why is there also provisions to select either "MOHAA", "MOHSH" or "MOHBT"?
    Why is there two sections to upload images? "Screen shots" and "Attach" which mentions resizing images and the accepted file extensions.
    Do I need to hit the "Save" button after code verification, if so will I get to upload further attachments such as screenshots?

HELP!!!

Please explain it in easy terms for dummies like myself. Thanks.
    Hi - yes the upload is a bit of a mess we are working to change all that on the new Database we are working on

Some info -:Is the "Title" the name of map, my name, my title (Mr, Mrs, Ms, Sir, Dr), the game title, or what? Title would be more generic but on the lines of "The Bridge" where as map name would be more like the actual map name say "thebridge"
    Why is there two sections to upload images? "Screen shots" and "Attach" which mentions resizing images and the accepted file extensions. Attach more for additional files you may wish to include
    Do I need to hit the "Save" button after code verification, if so will I get to upload further attachments such as screenshots? Yes that should work

TBH not tested since we upgraded the server so may still have a few bugs - as we upgraded the Apache and PHP versions ready for the new Database

Cheers

Jon and thanks for feed back

Trophies
    Blog Entries
    Oh I'm sry AccadaccA, you I misunderstood your pm as I checked msg's before the forums lol

your asking in the right place though... Help can if we will

I uploaded your file and replied to you on xNULL.
    Again sorry, it is a bit messy and confusing atm, you really have bad timing with returning to the game haha xD

Anyways, Title is in your case: The Dungeon
    Map Name = dm/dungeon
    (This way if people check the server list and see the map dm/dungeon, they can find it on the database that way as well)

Just wanted to clear that up quickly

Thanks guys.
    I realise it can get hectic when upgrading or transferring a site to a new host and unless you are told about broken links etc, they can go unnoticed forever.
    Besides that, I think that perhaps there is too much crammed into the one page. Don't get me wrong, I applaud the fact that there are provisions for so many options (top job, guys), but the focus is taken away from the basic map upload and it's basic details.
    The old "K.I.S.S." rule (Keep It Simple, Stupid) applies. May I suggest that you divide the page with a break starting with the very basics up top and nothing down the right hand side. Dedicate the page top to only the basics of: map title, author (and additional credits), the selection of the pk3/zip/rar file and screenshots. Include the option of AA, SH or BT and the SP,TDM, FFA options in the next line(s) underneath what I've just mentioned. This is where you want to divide the pages with a break before getting into the more technical nuts & bolts of things.

I think it's just that right hand column that makes it look messy and adds confusion. I understand that it utilizes space and keeps the page shorter but it is a bit overwhelming, especially for noobs (to the map database) and old farts like myself, uploading for the first time. Don't worry if my suggestions add to the upload page length, we can all use the mouse wheel or scrollbars as extra work-out exercise for our trigger finger.... besides the daily butt scratching and nose picking. lol

It would also be an idea to have the human verification at the very start, BEFORE filling out the data and uploading anything. Put it on it's own page between the link to the upload page and the upload page itself. With the verification as it is now, being at the end of such a long process, is kind of like having your parachute open after you've already hit the ground. :/

A mouse-over description of the textbox fields would also help simplify the process. Jon's explanation of the "Title" would be ideal as the mouse-over for that part.
    Perhaps the page not working properly was a God send as I initially wrote my username in the "Title" field. lol

I'd keep the screenshots section for ALL images with the resizing info and image extensions mentioned there only. Mentioning it in the additional attachments section only adds to confusion.

The "Save" button should be the final step. After the pk3 file and screenshots have been selected and all required fields have been entered. It most likely is, but with that verification right above it (and not functioning at the moment), only made me wonder if that was part of the trick to making the upload work.

These are only suggestions, I don't mean any malice.

You guys sure did put a lot of work into it. Kudos to whoever worked on it, Mighty job!
    Sorry for being a stick in the mud.

heatsinkbod: Thank you for the explanation. I understand it now and it makes perfect sense. Cheers.

Major_A: After PMing you (and the ten years since first creating the map) I got a little excited/impatient about finally uploading it. Besides, I saw somewhere that my PM failed. I think it was in the shout box.

Shadow: Thanks again for doing that for me.
    As for my timing, rest assured, if there's a way of being an annoying old fart, I'll find it. lol

Trophies
    Blog Entries
    Hey, don't get frustrated at all and don't feel bad in the least bit about voicing concerns. This is how progress is made.

My first experience with it was kind of a wreck as well but what I did was just keep saving it then going back and fixing what fields I missed and Heatsink & Shadow helped
    immensely... with that said, Shadow a little more as he is bulk uploading stuff for the game and he really whizzes through it lol

Honestly, the way the site used to be, useing the blog function was a good way to help with map upload practice and gave good creativity expression for the site
    because it worked kinda the same way, and believe me, hitting preview was a mistake lol, and it's been known for awhile so the site upgrade has been in the works for awhile now.

Don't be afraid you'll mess anything up. The database, as it's still being improved will get easier to use...

and not to add to your frustration, but I've actually hinted around at another field being added when it's done....
    not one you have to fill out unless you want to, but to add to the explanation, all the fields put together actually add to more than one way to search for a map/or components of said map.

-Bottom line my friend, the site actually loads faster now for one, but never said anything till now lol and it's getting better from here out...

-Don't be afraid to go back and edit something, or pause and go put quarter in the Asteroids machine and think about what you did lol

-Start your blog and talk about you map and post some pics or other interests, cause we want to read about it!

Just to give you a smile.....

-The best response I ever saw to a post at modtheater.com several years back was

"OMG How are you still making maps for this game?"

the reply was "Vodka"....

gets me laughing every time I think about it, and I have to... because I work in retail and have to deal with everyday public that are absolute morons
    and I die a little bit everyday I have to deal with said morons, so sometimes puzzles work out for me anyway....

it makes it easier to not want to jump over the counter and stab people with an ink pen because they are intellectual dooshbags.

Just whatever you do, don't be afraid to try it again, but do it with that knowledge that you can't mess it up LOL

...and don't forget to say "Holy ...what the is this , you dumb mother .....every once in awhile...it gets rid of the stress of things lmao

Trophies
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AccadaccA View Post
    Thanks guys.
    I realise it can get hectic when upgrading or transferring a site to a new host and unless you are told about broken links etc, they can go unnoticed forever.
    Besides that, I think that perhaps there is too much crammed into the one page. Don't get me wrong, I applaud the fact that there are provisions for so many options (top job, guys), but the focus is taken away from the basic map upload and it's basic details.
    The old "K.I.S.S." rule (Keep It Simple, Stupid) applies. May I suggest that you divide the page with a break starting with the very basics up top and nothing down the right hand side. Dedicate the page top to only the basics of: map title, author (and additional credits), the selection of the pk3/zip/rar file and screenshots. Include the option of AA, SH or BT and the SP,TDM, FFA options in the next line(s) underneath what I've just mentioned. This is where you want to divide the pages with a break before getting into the more technical nuts & bolts of things.

I think it's just that right hand column that makes it look messy and adds confusion. I understand that it utilizes space and keeps the page shorter but it is a bit overwhelming, especially for noobs (to the map database) and old farts like myself, uploading for the first time. Don't worry if my suggestions add to the upload page length, we can all use the mouse wheel or scrollbars as extra work-out exercise for our trigger finger.... besides the daily butt scratching and nose picking. lol

It would also be an idea to have the human verification at the very start, BEFORE filling out the data and uploading anything. Put it on it's own page between the link to the upload page and the upload page itself. With the verification as it is now, being at the end of such a long process, is kind of like having your parachute open after you've already hit the ground. :/

A mouse-over description of the textbox fields would also help simplify the process. Jon's explanation of the "Title" would be ideal as the mouse-over for that part.
    Perhaps the page not working properly was a God send as I initially wrote my username in the "Title" field. lol

I'd keep the screenshots section for ALL images with the resizing info and image extensions mentioned there only. Mentioning it in the additional attachments section only adds to confusion.

The "Save" button should be the final step. After the pk3 file and screenshots have been selected and all required fields have been entered. It most likely is, but with that verification right above it (and not functioning at the moment), only made me wonder if that was part of the trick to making the upload work.

These are only suggestions, I don't mean any malice.

You guys sure did put a lot of work into it. Kudos to whoever worked on it, Mighty job!
    Sorry for being a stick in the mud.

heatsinkbod: Thank you for the explanation. I understand it now and it makes perfect sense. Cheers.

Major_A: After PMing you (and the ten years since first creating the map) I got a little excited/impatient about finally uploading it. Besides, I saw somewhere that my PM failed. I think it was in the shout box.

Shadow: Thanks again for doing that for me.
    As for my timing, rest assured, if there's a way of being an annoying old fart, I'll find it. lol
    Hi thanks for all the feed back some great points and ideas, basics are as we expanded more options were added and before long it became the beast it is
    Basics are we have been on a change freeze for a while know while we bashed our heads against a wall with the Database migration. Basics are we are migrating to Drupal 7 currently we are on Drupal 6 which is no longer supported. Drupal 8 was an option but thats to new and not ready for us yet.
    Own3mall has been working hard with me to sort the migration out and we are 95% their now - once we resolve the last 3 issues it will be easy to complete. Then we will have nice clean and reduced upload screens

Cheers Jon