• Shoutbox
    Active Users: 0

• Notice: N/A

• Active Users

• There are currently no users chatting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    At the end of the day it's really a hit or miss affair.

The current map I'm working on has four rotating doors (in particular) running horizontal and all 4 open from the left hand (South) side when looking at them in Radiant's grid from "Top View".
    Two doors are obstructed from opening any further than 15 degrees while the other two open a full 90 degrees.
    One of each (of the two angles) works flawlessly while the other two open both ways, in and out of their respective buildings.
    I have tweaked them and recompiled many times with and without the "Open_Direction" selected, with and without the "alwaysaway" & "0" properties.
    The map also has another two horizontal doors but they open from the right hand (North) side, flawlessly.
    It's just a roll of the dice as to which doors will work and which won't.

But for the majority, my previous post still applies.
    Sometimes you just have to keep making the door(s) over and over and hope with each compile.
    Last edited by AccadaccA; 01-22-2019 at 01:34 AM.

I'm well aware about the difference in direction between Radiant and the game, and you're not necessarily correct about north being a certain direction, as that can actually be changed in-game too with the northyaw property on the worldspawn entity. It's sometimes worth lining both Radiant and the game up using this command if it helps. Also, default northyaw in-game is actually to the right in the editor (angle of 360 or 0). It wouldn't make sense for north to be left and west up if you think about it . East would have to be up if that were the case.

I'm sorry, Acca, but it was the vertical doors playing up. They did indeed need an angle of 0 to work in this case. In fact, the developers of the original SP levels do the same . Give vertical doors (in relation to Radiant) an angle of 0 or 180, and horizontal doors (in relation to Radiant) an angle of 270 or 90, even when paired with an alwaysaway of 1 (which it is by default).

I don't know about you, but I never have an issue with doors, as long as the right properties are put in. I never need to remake. OPEN_DIRECTION is only used when paired with START_OPEN, so very rarely needed.

I was talking specifically in relation to Radiant and specifically those that aren't working in his map, as that is what will help Beaver the most here. I used 'north' and 'south' in quotes deliberately. As the northyaw property can change the in-game cardinal directions, I thought it best to explain it in relation to something that is unlikely to change, Radiant.

In fact, I've changed it in my most recent map so I can control direction without having to bother with modifying the geometry of the level:

Code:
    //==========================================================================================================//
    // LEVEL: 			  test_morocco																			
    // CAMPAIGN: 		  Africa																					
    // TITLE:																									
    // VERSION:		  1.0	(09/01/19)								    										
    // GEOMETRY/DESIGN: 1337Smithy																				
    // SCRIPTING:		  1337Smithy																				
    //==========================================================================================================//
    main:

exec global/ambient.scr test_morocco
    	exec global/ai.scr

////////////////////////////////////	
    	level waittill prespawn

level.farplane 		= 2550 			// current farplane - originally 2400
    	level.farplane_min 	= 2550 			// min farplane
    	level.farplane_max	= 4000			// max farplane
    	level.farplane_ramp_interval = 50

$world farplane level.farplane
    	$world farplane_color (.06 .06 .11)
    	$world northyaw 90

level.flags[runsprays] = 1
    	level.flags[falling] = 0
    	level.culling = 0

waitthread SoundAliases

fadeout 0.1 0 0 0 1

level waittill spawn
    It wasn't the reason I did it, but setting it to a value of 90 makes it line up with Radiant.
    Last edited by 1337Smithy; 01-22-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, it was the "north" "south" inclusion that provoked my response.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337Smithy View Post

I don't know about you, but I never have an issue with doors, as long as the right properties are put in. I never need to remake.
    Dang, I must catch all the breaks. lol NOT!
    At least mapping is never dull, monotonous or boring for me. Always something new to do my head in.
    Currently I can't get door_locked sound to work despite many attempts.
    I've not long finished another map where they work fine.
    The src file is the same,
    Code:
    exec global/door_locked.scr::lock
    I've even copied one of the triggers from the working map. But no dice. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337Smithy View Post
    OPEN_DIRECTION is only used when paired with START_OPEN, so very rarely needed.
    Agreed but since tinkering with the doors as a necessity for my "Buzzard Gulch" map, I have found "OPEN_DIRECTION" helps when my opened angle needs to be specific.

I get a lot of weird shit happening or normal stuff that I've done many times before, not happening. lol

I made some edits recently in my previous post, so sorry if you've missed them since responding Acca. Didn't see you online!

I don't mind helping out with the door lock stuff if you want.

btw, in response to your original question about why the game north has a disparity with Radiant 'north', I think I have an answer. Quite often, values in the code are set to '0' by default if they haven't been explicitly set by the player via script. But when it comes to the cardinal direction in the game, '0' is equal to '360', so that is why it is always set to the right in relation to Radiant.

In fact, I found the code in the engine here (taken from OpenMOHAA):

Code:
    World::World()
    {
    	world = this;
    	world_dying = qfalse;

// Anything that modifies configstrings, or spawns things is ignored when loading savegames
    	if( LoadingSavegame )
    	{
    		return;
    	}

assert( entnum == ENTITYNUM_WORLD );

setMoveType( MOVETYPE_NONE );
    	setSolidType( SOLID_BSP );

// world model is always index 1
    	edict->s.modelindex = 1;
    	model = "*1";

UpdateConfigStrings();

// clear out the soundtrack from the last level
    	ChangeSoundtrack( "" );

// set the default gravity
    	gi.Cvar_Set( "sv_gravity", "800" );

// set the default farplane parameters
    	farplane_distance = 0;
    	farplane_color = "0 0 0";
    	farplane_cull = qtrue;

UpdateFog();

sky_portal = qtrue;
    	UpdateSky();

m_fAIVisionDistance = 2048.0f;

level.cinematic = spawnflags & WORLD_CINEMATIC;

if( level.cinematic )
    		gi.Cvar_Set( "sv_cinematic", "1" );
    	else
    		gi.Cvar_Set( "sv_cinematic", "0" );

level.nextmap = "";
    	level.level_name = level.mapname;

SoundMan.Load();

// Set the color for the blends.
    	level.water_color = Vector( 0, 0, 1 );
    	level.water_alpha = 0.1f;
    	level.lava_color = Vector( 1.0f, 0.3f, 0 );
    	level.lava_alpha = 0.6f;

//
    	// set the targetname of the world
    	//
    	SetTargetName( "world" );

m_fNorth = 0;
    }
    m_fNorth is changed by the northyaw command I explained previously, and by default it's 0 in the engine.

Yeah mate, I caught that you had edited your post... after I replied lol
    I edit my posts a lot too. In hopes to be understood clearer.... but mostly due to typos.

Good explanation but "0' and / or "360" could have been set at 12 o'clock. They just got lazy. lol

Thank you, I'd appreciate your help with the locked doors, kind sir.

Sure, just send an email or we can do it on here .

Job done.

Thanks again mate. Much appreciated.
    I knew it had to be something in the script.