• Shoutbox
    Active Users: 0

• Notice: N/A

• Active Users

• There are currently no users chatting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Testing The Bocage (Part 1)

Hey!

I thought I'd give you guys an early go at the first half of my SP map. The reason it is half is because due to the detail of the map I have decided to split them into two BSPs. I don't want to reach any limits midway through dev!

This gives me a good opportunity to release the first BSP to you guys so you can test and try and break it for me . Let me know how it is difficulty wise, if there are any bugs, stable FPS etc... I give extra points if anyone manages to leave the playable space!

Download (UPDATED WITH V1.1 see changes in latest comment on this thread): http://www.mediafire.com/file/5p84n9...v1.1.zip<br />
    Installation: Put the sound/test_bocage folder in your main/sound directory.

Put the_bocage_v1.1.pk3 in your main directory.

Load MOHAA up.

In console, type map test_bocage

Best gfx options for the level is obviously everything on max (volumetric smoke on) with shadows set to 'No shadows' (these are just the blobs under the NPCs).

Have fun! P.S points also go to those who find the secret 'white' room (if you're in doubt whether you've found it or not, you haven't found it lol).
    Last edited by 1337Smithy; 06-18-2018 at 09:32 PM.

Its seems good so far, you created a good atmosphere with the artillery and the allied bots being killed by them. I liked the part where the door on the radio room was barricaded. I've noticed that with a map with so many details would have somekind of 'secret area' haven't found the white room you mentioned yet.

The bad part about this campaign for now is that when the MG42 spawns at the window it seems to be able to shoot through objects, or the gunner is extremely accurate and can can hit your toe or fingers when you are hiding behind cover. You need to check that out.

As for weapons inventory I think you sould add 2 grenades and binoculars.

Overall good job

Thank you for the feedback, Soares93! Glad you liked it.

Yeah, admittedly I did think about whether the MG is too accurate. I'll try and see if I can make it so you have better cover. I'll also see about adding some grenades / binoculars that you can pick up.

Great job loved the mission. Also really liked the design of the bunker and bunker exit area. Only issue I had is I never head the custom music but that might have been just an issue on my side.

Thanks! I really like designing bunkers and bases actually.

In fact, the next campaign after Normandy I've considered making is set along the Siegfried Line, where I could make very large and intricate underground complexes and defences.

The music is heard in the secret area .

Challenge accepted.
    Time to break a map!

p.s. sorry for my absence to everyone, I've been dealing with a lot of stuff in my personal life, which takes its toll.

So I played the map and really enjoyed it!

• Tested Map - Check
    • Found Visual Bugs - Check
    • Found the White Room - Check
    • Left the playable space (legit) - Check
    • Tested FPS - Check
    • Tested Difficulty - Check
    • Broke Map - Check

Hehe, with that summary out of the way.
    I had fun in this map! I always love Single Player maps, especially when the creators use their creativity in adding all sort of fun stuff!

Your map is 100x tougher to crack and break than AccadaccA's maps xD
    Almost everything is sealed off tightly.. even at some points I'm able to get on fences/rocks/walls, however I still could not get out of bounds on those spots as the 'invisible walls' were too high and sealed all the way.
    But that didn't stop me!

I'll list my findings, including suggestions below:

• As Soares suggested, perhaps add a few grenades and binoculars, I actually wanted to try and use both in the map and found them missing as well.
    • FPS is excellent, I never had a laggy moment or any noticeable FPS drops. Played smoothly.
    • Difficulty in the beginning is in my opinion 'very easy'.
    • The difficulty only changes when the bombs are dropped and all becomes very misty and the axis continue on with their charge towards you and your team. And the MG42 definitely has an aimbot haha, and reloads way too fast, but you can still manage to get below the MG42 without dying.
    • The idea of holding back the Axis and then suddenly have bombs dropped and again have more Axis charging in through the bombing mist is superb!
    • The white room is awesome! I love the music, I love the shotgun, I love the graphics and its changes inside the room.. it actually gave me a Quake feeling and goosebumps! LOVE IT.
    • I was able to leave the playable space by climbing on the roof of the building next to where the medic is sitting. From this roof (on its highest point) I'm able to jump over the invisible wall on the other side and walk my way to the middle of nowhere and even below the map. Btw I got to the roof by jumping on the light on the other building and then jumping on the roof (I took screenshots if needed).
    • Actually, the first time I got on here.. I fought off all Axis from the roof, then jumped down to the other side (as Axis were able to follow me), and got back into the house. Then after killing them all, I tried to get back towards the MG42 which was shooting at that point, however the medic was blocking the way lmao, I couldn't get passed him and back to the action xD.
    • A little before that, in the little cave/tunnel area, I found a few holes in the cave walls, where I was able to look through the map basically (also took screenshots, I'll just upload them all into a .zip if needed).
    • The current bsp name is 'test_trenches', however there already is a SP map with the same bsp name, which can be confusing (especially to those who have all the custom SP maps in their main). Talking about this one: http://www.mohaaaa.co.uk/AAAAMOHAA/c...aries-trenches So perhaps changing it a little would help out .
    • I love the entire layout of the map and all the different areas, it feels very real! Bunkers, trenches, tunnels, roads, the out of bounds fields and buildings.. very very nicely done!!
    • Fun fact, that door that is barricaded.. I only found out it was barricaded after finding the tunnel and going to the other side of it lol, I never even tried to open the door xD But the idea is awesome none the less!!
    • Also love all the detailed items in most of the rooms.. I had a good look around and even bashed all the boxes on all shelves.. even found a shovel on top of some cabinets.. and an MG42 in the corner of one lol!

I think that's about it
    One thing I wanted to check with you was, where does the current version/half actually end?

But please keep making these types of maps! I love it!

Woohoo, that's what I like to see!

You know, I was clipping parts of the map and contemplated doing the roof of those houses but thought "nah, I cba". DAMN! That was just laziness on my part haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    So I played the map and really enjoyed it!

• Tested Map - Check
    • Found Visual Bugs - Check
    • Found the White Room - Check
    • Left the playable space (legit) - Check
    • Tested FPS - Check
    • Tested Difficulty - Check
    • Broke Map - Check

Hehe, with that summary out of the way.
    I had fun in this map! I always love Single Player maps, especially when the creators use their creativity in adding all sort of fun stuff!

Your map is 100x tougher to crack and break than AccadaccA's maps xD
    Almost everything is sealed off tightly.. even at some points I'm able to get on fences/rocks/walls, however I still could not get out of bounds on those spots as the 'invisible walls' were too high and sealed all the way.
    But that didn't stop me!

I'll list my findings, including suggestions below:

• As Soares suggested, perhaps add a few grenades and binoculars, I actually wanted to try and use both in the map and found them missing as well. Yeah, I'll be adding them in
    • FPS is excellent, I never had a laggy moment or any noticeable FPS drops. Played smoothly.
    • Difficulty in the beginning is in my opinion 'very easy'. Yeah, short of adding in a skill selection I know some would find it easy and others not so much. I did worry that there was a big jump from the beginning to the assault. I'll consider changing it up a bit to make it more consistent.
    • The difficulty only changes when the bombs are dropped and all becomes very misty and the axis continue on with their charge towards you and your team. And the MG42 definitely has an aimbot haha, and reloads way too fast, but you can still manage to get below the MG42 without dying.Yeah, I may change it up slightly to give better cover and increase time between bursts. It's currently randomised but sometimes it can be too short. I made sure you aren't able to 'suppress' the shots if you're outside of the killing zone (e.g. underneath) but you can wait for it to stop and run out to shoot.
    • The idea of holding back the Axis and then suddenly have bombs dropped and again have more Axis charging in through the bombing mist is superb!Haha, yeah it came to me one day while I was lying awake in bed and thought it HAD to be in somewhere lol.
    • The white room is awesome! I love the music, I love the shotgun, I love the graphics and its changes inside the room.. it actually gave me a Quake feeling and goosebumps! LOVE IT.Awesome! I've since come up with some more aesthetic ideas to make it even more sweet so look out for changes there!
    • I was able to leave the playable space by climbing on the roof of the building next to where the medic is sitting. From this roof (on its highest point) I'm able to jump over the invisible wall on the other side and walk my way to the middle of nowhere and even below the map. Btw I got to the roof by jumping on the light on the other building and then jumping on the roof (I took screenshots if needed).I actually did jump on that lamp myself but never bothered to see if I could jump anywhere else... Damn :P. Full points!
    • Actually, the first time I got on here.. I fought off all Axis from the roof, then jumped down to the other side (as Axis were able to follow me), and got back into the house. Then after killing them all, I tried to get back towards the MG42 which was shooting at that point, however the medic was blocking the way lmao, I couldn't get passed him and back to the action xD.
    • A little before that, in the little cave/tunnel area, I found a few holes in the cave walls, where I was able to look through the map basically (also took screenshots, I'll just upload them all into a .zip if needed).Oh cool, would be good to see where about!
    • The current bsp name is 'test_trenches', however there already is a SP map with the same bsp name, which can be confusing (especially to those who have all the custom SP maps in their main). Talking about this one: http://www.mohaaaa.co.uk/AAAAMOHAA/c...aries-trenches So perhaps changing it a little would help out . Hmm, I was wanting to change the name to test_bocage or something similar but due to laziness again I didn't do it yet. This gives me the drive to actually go through with it! Just means changing file names and code which is a faff but wont take too long.
    • I love the entire layout of the map and all the different areas, it feels very real! Bunkers, trenches, tunnels, roads, the out of bounds fields and buildings.. very very nicely done!!That's great to hear! I'm a stickler for detail, and adding distant features gives a map the illusion of realism and openness so it's good to see that appreciated.
    • Fun fact, that door that is barricaded.. I only found out it was barricaded after finding the tunnel and going to the other side of it lol, I never even tried to open the door xD But the idea is awesome none the less!!Hah, I guess you were destroying all the boxes and accidentally came across it?
    • Also love all the detailed items in most of the rooms.. I had a good look around and even bashed all the boxes on all shelves.. even found a shovel on top of some cabinets.. and an MG42 in the corner of one lol!You saw it! I thought maybe only about 5% of people would notice that :P

I think that's about it
    One thing I wanted to check with you was, where does the current version/half actually end? It's at the end of the field which the axis assaulted from which you access through the destroyed wall of the house. Turn left at the road and there is a gate. I just made an end level trigger up there that gives you the success screen and sends you to the beginning of the first stock level, which is just temporary for testing ofc.

But please keep making these types of maps! I love it!
    Hopefully you'll like the next half too. I'm thinking about allowing the player to sniper from a church spire very similar to Saving Private Ryan so watch this space. Thank you for your input!
    Last edited by 1337Smithy; 06-16-2018 at 02:27 PM.

I uploaded all the ss, here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/file/c9exay...ge_testing.zip
    There are 3 ss for 'cave_bug1'. These are all in the same spot/area, where 'cave_bug1c' is actually on the other side of it (directly across), but can only be seen when looking back.
    'cave_bug2' has 2 screenshots, of the exact same spot, near the end of the cave (also when looking back).

(Note: Sometimes I see holes which other people can't see.. which has likely something to do with my graphics cards.. however these were the only ones I found and they were big enough to report.)

I also added evidence that I entered the white room haha, and evidence for the roof bug.
    Also added 1 screenshot of 2 walls which didn't feel like they connected well.. just felt a bit odd (just before you reach the houses where your team is waiting).
    But that could have been intentional ofc, just wanted to show you just in case.

Well now you see what happens when you drop your guard and be lazy for a second.. flaws sneak in, making me able to break the map :P.

About the MG42.. well it's okay if it takes people a few attempts, a map shouldn't be made too easy ofc.
    I think it's just that it switched from very easy to a much higher difficulty within a second basically. But then again, that's what happens in war times as well sometimes xD

The illusion of realism is DEFINITELY accomplished. It really reminded me what some parts of the war really looked like.. because it sometimes basically was big parts of nothing (well big fields.. empty roads.. buildings here and there), really made it feel authentic.

And yes, I was destroying everything I could haha, including using my 'USE' button to see if there were any hidden doors anywhere. Then I just stumbled upon that vent/tunnel that lead me to the barricaded door.

The MG42 in that room was very well hidden, I didn't expect to find it either, I was wondering why you placed it there, but it looked really awesome!

About the ending.. I'm guessing the Bazooka guy shoots a hole through the building? Because I went on the roof before the Axis started charging again (and thus before the MG42 started shooting).. and when the charge was over and the MG42 started shooting.. both the Medic & Bazooka guy were the only ones alive, but both crouching and not moving or doing anything at all, I couldn't interact with them either.. so I thought the MG42 was the end of the map, as I couldn't go anywhere else (and I tried lol, under heavy fire). There were no openings to that building. I tried killing the Bazooka guy to get his bazooka, but both him and the medic couldn't die xD. I'm guessing I was out of bounds when a certain trigger activated and thus it didn't? Only guessing.

I can't wait for the second half! I'm a sniper by heart, so giving me a sniper in SP will make for total carnage and I can't wait!

p.s. You only gave me points for getting outside the map, I want all the points for every discovery!! :P

Thanks for the screenshots. You get top marks for finding the secret room too!

That tunnel glitch is really odd. I don't get that at all. It's almost as if the complexity is different only on certain patches and can't line up with the others.

Is your curve detail not on 'high' in your advanced options? I don't know if that makes a difference (doubt it) but would be annoying if so. I'll see about checking the patch triangles to make sure they are identical.

Yeah that wall I knew about. It's just a pain to manipulate vertices on the wall tops because they've already been clipped to give an unusual shape. I may put a pillar there actually.

RE the ending, yeah the bazooka guy blows up the MG and the wall for you if you suppress it long enough. It's basically a mini objective you give him covering fire until the MG nest is blown up. I worried that it wasn't obvious because the objective only pops up as the MG appears so you may not notice it under fire. I'll see about making it more intuitive. You wont have been able to suppress the MG if you're outside of the killing field, which is basically anywhere in the courtyard 'arena' (other than out of bounds or directly underneath the gunner window).

Btw could everyone hear the team screaming various things ("take cover", "he's wounded", "covering fire")? I didn't add them in my own ubersound but they worked for me anyway (using already existing aliases), so just making sure they work for others.

This has been really useful so far though!
    Last edited by 1337Smithy; 06-16-2018 at 06:10 PM.