• Shoutbox
    Active Users: 0

• Notice: N/A

• Active Users

• There are currently no users chatting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Battalion 1944, first impressions.

I purchased the Battalion 1944 early access ("First To Fight" bundle) today. US$24.90

First off, the game is very slow in loading.
    Click the steam link to play and about five seconds later that screen disappears and you are staring at the desktop for about 30 seconds wondering if anything is happening.
    You select your location and of course checkout the key binding controls.

There's a training mode where you shoot at cardboard cutouts, bottles and shooting range type targets.
    No single player campaign.
    The servers listed take forever to log into then it says that the server has expired. Why list them then?
    All servers list a ping of "0" regardless of which continent you attempt to connect to. Pfft
    My third attempt to connect to a server actually crashed the game and I gave up. These were supposedly Australian servers.

I returned after an hour or so and a fresh reboot then selected the American servers.
    The first American server I selected said that there were 9 out of 16 players on it, yet after even more waiting I was kicked with the game saying that the server was full. Work that one out.
    Maybe five others were waiting to connect before me.

Finally I got in to a different server.
    The eye candy is simply beautiful however I found it very laggy. It may be due to my system as I didn't check the required system specs for the game.
    I started off well and killed someone a few seconds into spawning for my first time. Besides that happy accident (both of us met running around a corner) they absolutely creamed me. lol
    Then I was getting killed upon spawning (3 times) which took me back to the time I tried MOH after many years absent from the game and everyone was running hacks and cheats of all sorts.

I stuck it out for 36 minutes (I think 26 minutes was spent waiting for shit to load) but it was way too laggy for me to continue.
    I know its only an early access version but I think that even so it is way too premature.

No editing tools have been released and there's no word on when that will happen.

I jumped on again last night and turned the video settings down a notch from extreme to high.
    I must say it ran a hell of a lot better and the graphics were still awesome.

Trophies
    Blog Entries
    does it support dedicated servers?

I watched a video on it, looks ok, but I don't like hit indicators on the viewscreen.

How are the maps packaged up?

Sorry mate I've got no idea.
    I tried looking for the game in My Documents, C:\ drive, Program Files & Program Files (x86). No sign of Bulkhead or Battalion anywhere.
    The desktop link is just a url shortcut.

Trophies
    Blog Entries
    If windows 7 check for virtual store directory

Yes to Win 7 but no luck on the search.

I've just asked on the Steam discussion for Battalion1944, where the installation directory is for a Win 7, 64bit system.
    I'll check for a reply a couple of time a day and let you know, Major.

Bulkhead Interactive are based in the city I grew up in (and a short walk away from where I work). I supported them from the start a couple years ago but ashamed to say I haven't tried it yet.

I've not seen many people complain about it being laggy, especially since recent updates, and the gameplay looks pretty good from what I've seen. I'm an old school competitive Day of Defeat (1.3) player so I enjoy games a bit more fast paced than MoH when it comes to multiplayer. I'll have to try it out soon I think.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337Smithy View Post
    Bulkhead Interactive are based in the city I grew up in (and a short walk away from where I work). I supported them from the start a couple years ago but ashamed to say I haven't tried it yet.

I've not seen many people complain about it being laggy, especially since recent updates, and the gameplay looks pretty good from what I've seen. I'm an old school competitive Day of Defeat (1.3) player so I enjoy games a bit more fast paced than MoH when it comes to multiplayer. I'll have to try it out soon I think.
    Cool, living and now working so close to them.
    I turned down the video settings a touch and it made the world of difference. Plus that was an American server I first tried and I'm in Australia. So it could have been my system or high ping or a combination of both.
    Yeah its pretty fast paced but that depends on the players. Soon enough they'll all turn into snipers and hide under rocks which kills every shooting game.
    The game isn't officially released yet and there's already complaints about snipers in the discussion pages.... not by me either. lol
    I think shooting games need to have more control over weapons. One sniper per team. Mix it up just like a real army would.

MOH was fast paced in its early days... when men where men, constantly running around with Thompsons.

Quote Originally Posted by Major_A View Post
    If windows 7 check for virtual store directory
    Its been two days since I asked on the Steam/Battalion1944 forum. Still no answer.
    I've checked every folder on my hard drive that looks new to me.
    Steam games usually install in the "My Documents" folder. This one has me baffled.

I just thought to let you know that I haven't forgotten about it.