• Shoutbox
    Active Users: 0

• Notice: N/A

• Active Users

• There are currently no users chatting.

Light Ray 3D tutorials

G'day,
    Does anyone know of any good tutorials for Light Ray 3D?

I have some models I want to export to the MOH (".skd") format but they need to be textured first. Light Ray will not proceed with the export without the model having a "skin" or "bones".
    Oddly enough the model I am currently attempting is a skeleton. lol

I have searched Google (many times) and a million results show how to paint a ray of light but not how to use the Light Ray program.
    A search of YouTube basically has the same results.

The short built-in help videos are worth their weight in used toilet paper. :/
    The only other so called tutorial isn't much better, saying shit like "get into Face sub-element mode" but it doesn't say how. I have looked through all of the menus in search of it, to no avail.

I don't want to keep asking theripppa or anyone else to do them for me. Although he has been very supportive and generous with his time, I'd much rather learn how to do stuff for myself.
    Failing a proper tutorial for absolute beginners, if you are familiar with the process could you please enlighten me.

Cheers.
    Last edited by AccadaccA; 10-15-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Trophies
    Blog Entries
    This might help a little idk.
    It's one of Elgans videos.

I'm surprised they are actually still available.

If it helps, you only need one bone if the model doesn't have any other moving parts.

Last edited by Major_A; 10-16-2017 at 03:08 AM.

Thanks mate, you've given me those links before and they will be very helpful if and when I want to animate a model.
    Providing I get that far into it. lol
    I can't texture them at present. I think the term is "UV Map".
    I can tweak existing MOH models (a little) but sadly, that's all I can do.... with LightRay.
    I think I'll search for tutorials on other 3D programs such as Maya and 3D Studio Max before I decide which way to go. I've had both in the past. I just hope I have them backed up on CDs.

Kicking myself for not jumping on the band wagon with the rest of the NFS modders when we discovered LightRay back then... in the previous millennium.

Did you check these yet?
    http://www.mohaaaa.co.uk/AAAAMOHAA/c...y-3d-tutorials (big package of tuts) (also still available online at: http://modsonline.com/Tutorials-list-11.html)
    http://www.mohaaaa.co.uk/AAAAMOHAA/c...d-crash-course

All tuts (+SDK, scripts, plugins etc.) are also included in the registered LR3D 1.4 version on the database: http://www.mohaaaa.co.uk/AAAAMOHAA/c...v14-registered

There are also many Tuts on Milkshape 3D on the Database, if you ever decide on using that.

Thanks mate.
    The tutorial of the first link is what I referred to in the opening post. (i.e. "get into Face sub-element mode" but it doesn't say how.)
    Although a lot of time was put into that tutorial by the amount of pages it has, a tad more info for absolute beginners would have clinched it nicely.
    Shoot, I already have the second linked tut in my downloads too, but never read it. Hopefully that might fill in the blanks.

Yeah LR3D 1.4 is the version I'm using from the database but...
    (a) the video tuts are so quick, soundless and still didn't answer my questions
    (b) its not registered at all. I couldn't save anything without cracking it.

Now that I think of it, it was Milkshape the "Need For Speed" community ran to.... back in the day.
    I did try Milkshape a few months ago but failed to get anywhere with it. I'll give it another go.

Thanks again mate, much appreciated.
    Last edited by AccadaccA; 10-16-2017 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AccadaccA View Post

Yeah LR3D 1.4 is the version I'm using from the database but...
    (b) its not registered at all. I couldn't save anything without cracking it.
    There's a keycode included in a txt file in the zip file that is uploaded to the site, which you need to use for it to become fully registered.

And aah, I thought all those pages would have helped a bit haha, damn.. well hopefully the other tut will do it for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    There's a keycode included in a txt file in the zip file that is uploaded to the site, which you need to use for it to become fully registered.
    D'oh! Now you tell me. lol
    You need to make everything "silly ol' grandfather" proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    And aah, I thought all those pages would have helped a bit haha, damn.. well hopefully the other tut will do it for you!
    I did get a bit further along thanks to the second tut.
    Maybe its just me? I have good days and bad months. lol

Run it by me one more time, what does the light switch do?