• Shoutbox
    Active Users: 0

• Notice: N/A

• Active Users

• There are currently no users chatting.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Compile leaves scorch marks

G'day folks, I have made a replica map of Stadt (by request) which will be released with its ".map" file for others to put their spin on it.
    I've also made a customized version of it for a mate, however every time I compile it leaves what can only be described as "scorch marks".

See screenshot ...

scorch marks.jpg

Each time I compile these scorch marks are in a different location of the map.
    Whether they are horizontal or vertical brushes, "caulk" or "no draw" (as in the sewer water below ground) and they appear both indoors (on walls & ceilings) as well as outdoors. They have even appeared on mesh patches.
    I have only had this issue recently on this new PC so I'm not sure if its MOH map related or PC related.

Does anyone know what causes this and how to get rid of it?
    Your help with this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by AccadaccA; 07-03-2017 at 01:32 AM.

Trophies
    Blog Entries
    That looks like a really good copy of the original!!!

As for the scorch marks it almost looks like the blast mark texture from a grenade, rocket or smoke.

When you compile and it puts them in a different location, does it make that same pattern as the one in the picture?

Cheers Major,
    Yeah sometimes the odd one here or there could pass as a grenade scorch mark and when it happens to the garage ceiling it passes as diesel smoke stains. lol
    Funny you should say that as I have said both to the bloke I've made it for.

No, there is no distinct pattern. Sometimes its a bunch like the screenshot and other times its one mark here and a couple there. Always random without me making any changes to the map.
    The past week I compiled repeatedly up to ten times a day without even opening Radiant and they are always in different locations of the map and at different quantities.
    Last edited by AccadaccA; 07-04-2017 at 07:10 PM.

I found a few solutions that worked for other mappers with the same issue.
    It was in a thread started by theripppa on the Mod Theater mapping forum.

theripppa and I have been discussing this issue back when I posted about it here and again today after finding his post at the mentioned forum.
    He suggested that I remake the skybox.

I did that and compiled with a suggestion from that forum, placing "-bounce8" in the light compile options.
    I'm ecstatic to announce it compiled without those dreaded scorch marks.
    This issue delayed the map's release by about two months.

A HUGE thank you to ripppa. Much appreciated my friend.

I just thought to let you all know how this was resolved in case it happens to you or someone else in future.

Suggested solutions that have worked for some, are:

"-final" in the light compile option. I tried that before originally posting about it here.
    Possibly a leak in the skybox. I couldn't find anything wrong there.
    " look at your sky settings, i.e. Sun flare and direction, also the height of the sky can do this." suggested by dodgerman via emails.
    "-final" & "-bounce 8" in the light compile options. If you put them together I think they require the ">" sign and don't leave a space before the "8". Example: "-final > -bounce8"
    Remake the skybox. This is the common denominator with it happening to all of my maps lately because I made one skybox as a template for all maps.
    Sometimes its the smallest things we overlook. Sometimes its also the elephant in the room.

Again, thank you ripppa.
    I'm more than happy to give you my first born son. He is 26, still lives at home and is almost toilet trained. lol Please take him.
    Last edited by AccadaccA; 08-27-2017 at 05:09 AM.

Correction:

Sorry while the new skybox fixed the uks_stadt map I made, it hasn't fixed another map I've made that has far less scorching.

Also:
    After making the new skybox and compiling it, the second map had more scorch marks than ever before. I tried the "-bounce8" and after waiting forever the compile output said it was an unrecognized command.
    So that means leave the space before the "8" in. Example: " -bounce 8".

Another compile later...
    It's currently compiling the light phase (models) so I know that lack of a space was a problem.
    Damn. This is now the worst compile of this map.

Another compile later...
    Dang, I just compiled again without the space and it compiled. Slightly better. This doesn't make any sense.

Another compile later...
    I'm trying "-final > -bounce 8" again and the compile output has it displayed as "-final 8" yet it appears to have hung.
    I don't know what to think any more.

Just compiled yet again using "-extra" light and I'm back to the original minimal scorching this map has always had until today. Its only effecting the back of a building.
    If only I could call this map complete. lol

Trophies
    Blog Entries
    This is great that there is a RECENT document of this in case it pops up for anyone else.

But with your other map doing it, and that fix didn't work, maybe it's still the skybox? Something poking into it but not through it to cause a leak?

Only a thought, as it seems really coincidental. Make the skybox into a larger cube?

I myself have issues of deleting worldspawn and can't figure out what I did to do it and have to go back to a previous save. :P

You make a good point Major.
    Everything in the map is clear of the skybox by around 64 units. I just double-checked after reading your reply.
    Its got me beat why this same error is picking on me. lol
    I could understand duplicating the same error before when I had used the same template skybox for every map (just being lazy) but now with a new skybox it should eradicate that issue.
    Maybe I'm holding my tongue wrong?

Yeah that worldspawn beats me too. I have only happen once or twice but the last time it totally wiped the contents of my map file leaving me with a blank NotePad page and 0 KBs.
    That's why the "DM" folder trick for quick testing isn't always such a good idea. Every so often it pays to make a regular pk3 with a copy of your ".map" file and store it for safe keeping.
    And to think you laughed at me when I told you that I have numbered my pk3 files (well into the 100s) as back-ups to my current map.
    You even called me a "weirdo". lol Yeah, a weirdo with a back-up of his map.

I've just thought of another common denominator with the maps that this is happening to.
    They have tall pointed roofs. Where uks_stadt has the tall church tower, my current project has a tall clock tower.
    I have raised the roof of my skybox by 192 units (3 X 64) and stretched the height of the skybox walls to meet it.
    I also thought to use the "caulksky" texture as I have always just used the regular "caulk" texture for the skybox.
    The compile and results were the same.

I must admit that with the scorching (black marks) in this map they are always the in the same places and of a different nature to the stadt map, except for when I tried the "-bounce 8" option.

shot0072.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trophies
    Blog Entries
    A couple of thoughts, only from modding point of view btw....
    TBH before today, never heard of the bounce option.

Having said that, I told myself, if I ever got to the point of making a map....after my first one "made it as small as possible, and still learning how models acted when used,
    I wanted to always make the skybox as tall as I could.

The only reason for that is people that like cool maps, always want to stick a jetpack in it or flying planes mod lol, but it sucks when you can't fly high.

Even though a jetpack makes you a target, and may or may not have a place in wwII, "depends on your movie loves I guess... The Rocketeer", good story if you've never seen it,
    but, hey I not really saying to do anything or try it, was saying more of a think ahead point of view.

I only said all that crap just to say, that looks like a hell of a hedge maze!
    That looks phenomenal!
    Mazes & traps are always cool...idk if there are any in that map but that looks awesome from the SS!

EDIT:
    Another thought occurred to me... If the scorch marks could be sun related as well...your ss shot shows on 2 corners at messed up angles?
    are there any sunflare settings?
    you have some really detailed stuff there and It made me wonder if shadows or something might have a part in the compile?
    idk I'm only asking cause of shadows on 2 corners.

This might be a Bobzilla worthy question?
    but don't know if he's monitoring new site or not, maybe only through old forums like we chat.
    Last edited by Major_A; 08-28-2017 at 06:26 AM.

Sorry jet-packer weirdo, I need to keep my skybox top as low as possible to cut down on vis.
    Trimming down the skybox all of the way around makes a huge difference to FPS. Especially when you are a stickler for small detail as I am.

Cheers mate, I made a kick-arse maze years ago but it only saw the light of LAN parties. Its now lost to the dead hard drive cemetery in the clouds.
    This one isn't all that big as its broken up by a huge rotunda (gazebo) in the middle of the park.
    I have planned to make another.

Yes it has sunflare. I noticed earlier that the sunflare was set to "3" even though I don't recall setting it at all. As with "sunlight" which I never knew existed as a map setting.
    And it has "scale" which I don't recall ever adding to the entities either. It is set at "0.025"
    Radiant wouldn't let me change any of the worldspawn settings so I had to close radiant and manually change it in NotePad. This has been an on-going thing for ages.
    My installment of Radiant is possessed, I'm sure of it.

edit:
    I failed to mention, with the first screenshot of my recent post, the view is of the side and back of a building. The sun is on the same side but way in front of that building. Virtually in the corner of the skybox.
    The faint shadow at the very most left of the building (side) is justified by another building between the sun and this building. But those darker marks at both ends of the back wall have no reason to be there. They aren't a shadow of anything at all.
    There is a vacant block next to this building (left of image) and a vacant block behind it (right of image).
    The same triangular mark continues around the far right corner.... for no apparent reason.
    As for the rock wall fence of the attached screenshot. That blackened pillar should have full sunlight on it. The face that overlooks the road should be in shadow as the sun is behind it and to the right.
    Last edited by AccadaccA; 08-28-2017 at 08:29 AM.