• Shoutbox
    Active Users: 0

• Notice: N/A

• Active Users

• There are currently no users chatting.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Yep, I've had that problem with radiosity in the past. I would often be told (by jv_map etc) years ago that it's very temperamental so don't use it. Honestly, give it a try and check the end result.

Thanks to my mate [TWL]Shadow, I think we're onto something with these scorch marks.
    He can't see them in my current map but I can.
    Although legion could see them in some of my compiles of UKS_Bahnhof, others are saying that they can't see them.
    The other day when I jumped on the server with Major_A I saw a scorch mark on the very first map before everyone else joined us and the map changed.
    I pointed it out to Major_A however he said that he couldn't see it.

So now I'm thinking that although something is there in the compile, it only shows on newer video cards.
    My system is a year old with 4k graphics ready although my monitor isn't 4k compliant.
    Each time I play the same map version the scorch marks are in the same areas so it's not something generated "on the fly".
    They only move to different locations after each compile.

edit:

Okay I have found that map that was on the server, its called Italy1
    Although its just a mild case of the scorching, does anyone else see these in game?

shot0167.jpg
    shot0168.jpg
    Last edited by AccadaccA; 01-17-2018 at 04:20 AM.

I'd like to conduct a test with a few volunteers if anyone is interested in helping solve this dilemma.
    All you would have to do is download and run my map.
    Go to the rail platform (middle of South wall) and view the ground.
    Please report back to this thread with your findings whether you see the scorch marks or not.

I have taken these screenshots of the latest compile of which I have also uploaded (the pk3) for anyone to view in game.

shot0178.jpg
    shot0179.jpg

The scorch marks also appear elsewhere in the map but the platform is better lit to show them clearly.

One of the reasons to making the map so dark was to help hide them.

Here's the pk3. The map is called "refinery" (inside the "scorched.zip").
    Please give Dropbox a minute to load the "Download" button. It sometimes takes a while.

The map is AA compatible so anyone can participate in this experiment.

Thank you.
    Last edited by AccadaccA; 01-17-2018 at 01:00 AM.

1337Smithy: I tried "-bounce 0" and it still produced the scorch marks although minimal as the compile beforehand.
    A couple of compiles and reboot after the the one I've posted below.
    Although it made little difference (if any) to the scorch marks the over all result of lighting and shadows was very good, I think a lot better than using "-extra".
    Not to mention it was a much faster compile time. It seemed to breeze through calculating the static models.

Thank you. I will use "-bounce 0" from now on.

I may have noticed some marks in your refinery map but it was dark so couldn't be sure. I'll definitely take a look again. I know I sometimes get that effect in certain situations. Glad removing radiosity helped. 'final' plus 'bounce 0' does the best light compile (esp lighting models).

EDIT: I can see the marks you see in that screenshot. I can see them exactly. I've not had it like that before though, so it's to do with the map/compile... Hmmm..

OK, I did my own compile and they disappeared.. Sent an email to you. Quick question, which MOHlight.exe are you using?
    Last edited by 1337Smithy; 01-17-2018 at 09:11 AM.

Not completely gone as the screenshot I emailed you. I've had a few compiles exactly like that today.
    I'm okay with it if it stayed that minimal.

I'm using the original MOHlight.exe that came with mohRadiant created in 2002 (Feb 11).

Edit:
    MOHlight version 1.48
    Last edited by AccadaccA; 01-18-2018 at 03:49 AM.

I'll have to put verbose logging on all the compile stages to see if I can spot anything out of the ordinary. It's very strange, I've never had this problem before.

1337Smithy: Geez mate, I hope you're not busy for about a month. lol
    I will do the same with verbose logging using my Map Mate compiler and custom console. Its slightly more informative than the Windows command console (DOS box) and all three compile phases are saved as one long text file which allows any line to be viewed on the fly.
    I'll be out for a few hours today so I will run it then.

Thank you for all of your help.

Dang, I knew I should have waited until bed time.
    The compile has been going for exactly three hours and is only at 29% of the Vis with an estimated 3 hours and 35 minutes remaining.... for that phase.
    Before it starts on the light phase.

As much as I want to get to the bottom of this, I'm sure its video hardware related.
    Life's too short.
    I think I might save the log file, kill the processes and start again with the Vis just set to -fast.

All it takes is for one person to NOT see the scorch marks in game and it will be confirmed as a hardware issue.
    Two lousy minutes of someone's time can save hundreds of hours of compiling, analyzing and stress.

I'm not the only mapper that has faced these scorch marks... just the only one who hasn't left, yet.

edit:
    Stopping now at 32% with an estimated 10 hours and 17 minutes. Pfft.
    Last edited by AccadaccA; 01-18-2018 at 03:39 AM.

The fact I could see them, and apparently my compile created them elsewhere, and that I've never had this problem on my maps, suggests it's to do with the map rather than hardware. At the very least it would have to be a combination. We also have to take into consideration whether game settings affect how these scorch marks are rendered, so again may not be to do with hardware *even if* someone else doesn't see them.

I didn't manage to take a look at the compile, but you've got a file to output to which would be much easier to debug. Did you manage to see anything unusual?

btw, I'm experimenting on one of your lights in the platform area just to show you how it can look in conjunction with a lower a lightmapdensity
    Last edited by 1337Smithy; 01-18-2018 at 09:22 AM.