• Shoutbox
    Active Users: 0

• Notice: N/A

• Active Users

• There are currently no users chatting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Question Q3 Arena Mod converstion challenge for anyone?

I just posted this in Rippa's forums and I got to thinking...(bad, I know) :P

I had a Q3 Arena server going not long ago and was playing with the tutorial get started map
    saw this mirror effect and took some ss of it a while back...

Just was thinking if anyone hadn't considered yet on grabbing selective effects, weapons etc
    in the precursor to MOH, this would make a neat effect for anyone to add to the scripts to use
    for mappers or modders.

Used in "SMALL" sections of reflective surfaces, I wouldn't think it would cause any lag.
    Q3A is 600MB compared to each version of MOH @ 1'ish GB, and Quake pulled it off.

I just thought it was a neat effect if some were to pull it off switching it over.

Here is a pic of the Quake 3 Arena Mirror.

You can view it in the get started maps tutorial Q3DM0

Last edited by Major_A; 12-23-2017 at 06:18 PM.

MOHAA does not come originaly with this fuction, this is replaced with default reflextion textures, so it is impossible to recreate this mirror effect in MOHAA unless you modify the .ddl and .exe files or rebuild MOHAA entirely.

Trophies
    Blog Entries
    aww man, what a bummer!
    But I guess I know now.

Hey Major i messed with making a mirror in Radiant yesterday had no luck...they make it very simple in GTX Radiant..then i remembered a post on the TMT..giffe said its impossible to make a mirror in MOH, whether reflection with shaders or trying a camera...moh game engine wouldnt allow it, unless you can hack it....i tried, maybe someone else can figure it out

Trophies
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, thanks Rippa, that's what Soares was saying.
    It's too bad they didn't leave that effect in moh.
    I was just having some neat ideas running through my head.

That's a bloody shame, I already have a purpose for mirrors in a map I've been contemplating on making for some time now.
    Although those (few) who have tried to do this may be correct, I have troubles accepting it when I hear "it can't be done" just because up until now nobody has succeeded.
    There's a lot of things either one of us can't do but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

I tend to back Major's way of thinking, if it was possible in Quake 3 then it should be possible in any game using the Quake 3 engine. I really can't see them rewriting dll files or any coding to prevent such an effect.
    When you buy the rights to a game engine you are buying it lock, stock and barrel.
    What we call a "game" (in this case MOHAA) is merely a full screen menu, hud or user interface to the game engine that is hidden in the background. The very same game engine that resides in Quake 3.

Anyone who has been around since the release in 2002 wouldn't believe that half of what has been done today in mapping or other mods would have been possible. Take freeze tags for instance, to the best of my knowledge they weren't around when I left the scene back in 2008. And out of the blue we now have crossbows.

Think outside the box, open your mind and you'll be surprised what can be achieved.
    Last edited by AccadaccA; 06-16-2017 at 05:02 AM.

Q3 has this mirror effect because its iD software we are talking about, they put more effort in effects and interactivity than EA does, If they left that effect in the game we would have found it by now. It is possible to make a mirror mod with mohaa's engine, but you would have to build it from scratch and add it to the .ddl files or something. Like ironsights, the engine is capable of it but it lacks the files for it, there fore you have to make them.

Sorry Soares93, I tend to disagree.
    Regardless of who makes what GUI for it, the game engine is still the same therefore the contents of the dll files are still the same.
    MOHAA simply didn't require mirrors for the theme of the game.

Up until recent years every car came with a cigarette lighter and ashtrays. Just because some car owners were non-smokers without the need for these inclusions doesn't mean that they weren't there.
    Just look at how many jerks on the roads don't use their mirrors or turn signals, even though every vehicle has been fitted with them. lol

Hey guys, I've been thinking of a way to recreate the mirror effect without messing with the .ddl files, its cheap and it won't work 100%, but overall in a game like MOHAA it will look good.

What I propose is that since a mirror creates an inverted image, we do exactly that. For example, a map featuring a cathedral with a clean floor, the mapper would have to create a square hole under the floor with every object and architecture recreated upside down. Between that inverted copy and the playable area there would be a texture/brush with a subtle typical MOHAA reflection, maybe some dirt too to make the ground look more solid.

The majority of the MOHAA static objects can simply be inverted to successfully recreate this effect. For effects such as fire to work, the fire should be recreated as 2 crossed static surfaces with animated textures, because if the MOHAA default fire effect is used, it would still appear normal in the ‘mirror’ and that would look odd.
    The first major downside of this method is that it doesn’t work for moving players and bots. The second downside is that it would take double the space of the area, so if mappers want to try this ‘mirror’ effect, they should use it in specific areas of the map where it allows and adds a neat touch to it.

For mirrors that are in a vertical position, the only way for them to work properly with this tactic is if their back is in full contact with the wall. In this situation, the fire and almost all of the other default game effects don’t need to be inverted, only the room and the objects. Again with a subtle reflection texture to make the glass in the mirrors look solid. If you shoot it, the broken glass texture should be there as well.

The mapper would need thick walls and a compressed version of the room for a satisfactory ‘mirror’ effect using the minimum space needed in the map.

As for player reflections, I don’t have any solution yet. Until then the players will be like vampires in maps with this effect, they don’t have a reflection, LOL.

Trophies
    Blog Entries
    I keep thinking of this myself every time I see the sniper scope as the shiny texture moves when the
    player does but I've just not had the chance to track down to see what they use to do it with and how/why it moves when the player does.
    I mostly just want to see how it works.
    Last edited by Major_A; 12-23-2017 at 06:25 PM.