• Shoutbox
    Active Users: 0

• Notice: N/A

• Active Users

• There are currently no users chatting.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Map database problem?

The map database has gone wonky as it says "Total Number of maps available : 23500 on AAAA" it seems there might be 1 or 2 duplicates lol

Map search is gone as well
    _

True,

I think we're waiting to see if the new DB is going to work out before we start fixing things.
    For now, I use the Creator List to look for maps: http://www.mohaaaa.co.uk/AAAAMOHAA/c.../map-sort-view
    This one doesn't seem to be dodgy

Trophies
    Blog Entries
    AH HA!

Thanks for that link!

I've known things were needing fixed but wasn't sure if anyone saw the duplicates lol

it caught me by surprise haha

Yeah I was confused as well when I saw it haha, each map has around 10 duplicates XD
    And it all looked messed up, so I tried the creator list link and I was savedd ^^

Trophies
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Yeah I was confused as well when I saw it haha, each map has around 10 duplicates XD
    And it all looked messed up, so I tried the creator list link and I was savedd ^^
    Have had a look at that bug not fixed yet not sure why but will sort

Trophies
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by heatsinkbod View Post
    Have had a look at that bug not fixed yet not sure why but will sort
    Ok sort of break / fix - basics panels is not working on our current version, so after loading Map page you then select from the menu so created a new "Map Index" if you want changes to Map index but cant auto load as before..............

Hey guys, I know the database is messed up and that it has been a head ache for you guys for some time now but you really need a link to the upload page from the "Home" page.
    I stumbled around for ages earlier today wanting to upload a map but I couldn't find any link in the obvious places.
    This was after someone else asked me to do the upload because they had a gut full of trying it themselves.
    I finally got there (to the upload page) but hit a brick wall with the errors the database was producing.

In order of the errors...
    It asks for the map game type first.
    Then asks for the map upload.

However the page isn't set up in that order.
    Reading left to right from top to bottom (as most westerners do) you are asked the map title, map name and then screenshots.
    As soon as the first screenshot is uploaded the errors start.
    There doesn't appear to be any way to upload a second or third screenshot.
    The very next item under the screenshot up-loader is a button titled "Add another item". One would think that maybe that possibly means add more screenshots???? Nup.

Another error appeared so I got pissed-off with it and left.
    I can't help but think how many others would have left too. How many have left in the past and how many more will leave in future?
    Each time someone leaves frustrated is potentially a new mod for the game that doesn't see the light of day.

After a few hours I decided to give it another go.
    I have just tried to find it again and it took forever before I remembered how I found it the first time. Via the site map.

I don't mean to sound picky, so please don't take offense, but there still isn't a way to get to the home page from the forums either.
    That's usually what a forum banner is linked to, the "Home" page. It is the same website is it not?
    Perhaps I'm too old school?
    Clicking the banner on the forums page still takes you to the forums page. Despite the banner saying "largest community resource".
    There is already a button labeled "Forum" on that same header page that does the same thing.

I think by now you know me well enough to know that I don't mean any malice and I am always willing to help wherever possible. But honestly I'm not seeing much (if any) common sense.

One word holds the answer to all three mentioned problems and that word is "Layout".
    It will mean a link from the forum to the "Home" page (instead of that being a one-way street).
    It will mean including a visible link from the "Home" page to the database upload page. Where people would expect to see it.
    It would also mean organizing the database upload page in the same order it expects everything instead of it spitting out error after error when all you are doing is entering everything in the order of the page layout.

I know it won't solve all of your problems but it will help users cope with the dead-ends.
    Who knows, maybe a fresh design with a little extra thought to the layout just might help you see the database problems from a new perspective.

Okay, I have only just noticed a button linked to the database on the forum header page. D'oh!
    Not the most obvious place anyone would look for it.
    I hope I can remember to come to the forums when I want to upload maps in future.

Trophies
    Blog Entries
    I solved that by letting Firefox not close tabs when I leave, but I understand what your saying for others, and why I haven't uploaded anything cause I know it's really touchy until it's fixed
    I always have 30-50 tabs remembered everyday I open my browser anyway hahahaha.

If I remember correctly, the constant server attacks awhile back became such a headache, the updating of the database kinda got shoved under the rug.
    That and real life stuff get in the way. I'm trying to get some stuff completed before winter gets around here myself.

Having said that, the kind of updating the database actually needs is beyond what I think anyone is unsure how to do.

The analogy that comes to mind for me is trying to adapt Lincoln Logs to work with Lego's lol

There may be a gameplan on getting it done at some point, but I don't what or when atm.

Once it is fixed though, I'd like to send out a site mailer to the registered players of the old forums redirecting them here to the new site frontend to access the old site where the DB is.
    If even 20 people came back and some were modders or mappers as well I think it be worth me sorting through a couple thousand emails lol

An interesting related note, just Saturday I was in my TS channel where my servers are and a new guy that had joined the site jumped in my channel and had no idea that Spearhead even still worked.
    We chatted for a few so maybe he'll show up at some point, who knows.

That interest he showed tells me a lot of people don't realize the game is still alive 15 years later.